Sunday, January 21, 2007

I Appreciate Squirrels

Today is Squirrel Appreciation Day. I like squirrels.



When I was in 8th grade, I wrote a report on squirrels. I don't remember much about it except I illustrated the articles by drawing pictures of squirrels with bushy tails. It was my first year in a new town and new school and I didn't know what was expected. I thought I did okay, but they didn't expect pictures. Oh, well.

In 2001, Christy Hargrove, a wildlife rehabilitator from North Carolina, started Squirrel Appreciation Day. Christy suggests we celebrate by putting out a little extra food, or just learn something about squirrels. Sorry I didn't save my report to pass on, but here are answers to commonly asked questions and photos of squirrels local to the North Carolina Nature Center.


Now we have a squirrel living with us. Well, not exactly with us, but sneaking around in the attic. We have a device that makes sounds designed to scare off varmits and other creatures that might try to chew up wires, but this squirrel hasn't taken the hint. Garry thinks he must be deaf.

We purchased a trap so we could relocate him, but so far he has stayed away fro
m the cage. Garry thinks he must have impaired olifactory senses, too. But he can certainly scurry and entertain us with the patter of little squirrel feet.

Post script: 1/23 Garry caught him on his daily outing and provided this evidence and comment before the squirrel jumped back into his attic sanctuary.

This guy has been living with us upstairs. He is taking a short hippity-hop outside. Garry

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like this post. It reminds me of one I did last year about squirrels that went missing.