Saturday, October 14, 2006

Air Force Memorial

Model of Memorial

This weekend is the dedication of the Air Force Memorial which will be open to the public beginning Monday

My dad was a pilot in the US Air Force. He joined the Army Air Corps to fight in World War II and retired from the Air Force in the 60’s. This memorial is for him and all the men and women who served, the pioneers of flight, the aeronautical advances of the last 100 years, and technological achievements in airpower.

The Memorial is 270 feet tall, three spires symbolizing the core values of Integrity first, Service before self, and Excellence in all we do. My dad lived those values. The design reminds me of images of the Thunderbirds we saw when my dad took us to air shows on the base. See pictures of the design and the completed memorial.

Do you have an Air Force hero? Submit your story here.

technorati tags: , , ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like the contrails ... snazzy.

Vicki said...

Yes, I think the architect(Jim Freed) did a great job. The spires do look like the Thunderbirds' contrails and I get the feeling of power and moving skyward, maybe to touch the hand of God. Read more about Freed here http://www.airforcememorial.org/design/architect.asp.