Monday, July 24, 2006

Lebanon

I have a soft spot in my heart for Lebanon.

I don't know very much about the country and its politics. I have never been there, I met some people from there a long time ago, but I don't remember their names. I remember the hostages and frequent news stories about Hezbollah and Syrian involvement. I don't know much about it, but I have a soft spot in my heart for Lebanon.

My first memory was when Danny Thomas was on TV in "Make Room for Daddy." He was so proud of his Lebanese heritage. I liked Danny Thomas.

When Danny Thomas was struggling with his career, he turned to St. Jude, the patron saint of hopeless causes. He became successful and fulfilled his pledge to the saint by founding St. Jude Children's Research Hospital where children are accepted for treatment without regard to their family's ability to pay. The hospital is thriving, caring for children with cancer and other devastating diseases, achieving research milestones, because of the efforts of Danny Thomas, a good man, proud of his Lebanese heritage.

Lebanon is in the news again. How sad. What would it take to end the conflict? What would it take for Hezbollah to go away and for Lebanon and Israel to exist as neighboring countries? It seems like a hopeless cause. We need to appeal again to St. Jude.

technorati tags: , , ,


No comments: