Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Vegetables Rule the Day


Today is a very special vegetable day. We already know we should eat several servings of vegetables every day, but we are reminded today.

Fresh Veggies Day reminds us to collect and eat our vegetables fresh. This encourages gardener to nurture a crop that we can guarantee are fresh, colorful, and tasty.

Today is also Eat Your Vegetables Day. How convenient. First, we garden or collect fresh veggies, then we eat them either raw or cooked. When I was a kid, I was very picky about vegetables -- I picked them off my plate whenever I could. Then I grew up, and as I did, my tastes grew, too. I enjoy many veggies prepared in many different ways, from raw to gently steamed to vegetable casseroles. Yum.

However, I have a complaint. I never developed a taste for peppers and onions, and many dishes are designated vegetarian -- notably pizzas -- just because they are covered with onions and peppers. What a disappointment. There are plenty of other veggies that could grace a pizza. But I digress.

Today is a special day for veggies, but it is also Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Month. Yea, we get fruit, too, but how much? Get recommendations based on your weight, gender, and level of activity. The food pyramid shows how much and what kind of foods we should include in daily diets. You might be surprised.

If you pay attention to the pyramid and be sure to include plenty of fruits and eat your vegetables like your mother told you to do, you will be healthier and and maybe even
happier.

Technorati technorati tags: , , ,


No comments: