Friday, April 18, 2008

I Remember This Day


I will not forget that time. The Branch Davidian siege had been going on in Waco for 49 days when I got the call - my dad had died. I called my manager to tell her I was going to Waco, and she asked me if my dad was in the compound. I thought it was strange at the time, but I know people are often at a loss for words and the wrong thing comes out. It happens to me often enough.

The thing about that particular gaffe is that it forever connected my father's death with that terrible time in our history. My dad actually died a couple of days before the fire that ended the siege, but I think of him every year on the day the siege ended. I wish it was not so.


I would like to forget the siege and just remember my dad, the way he was, even
in the last few years. I like his expression in the last picture I took of him. I wish it was a better picture, but it reminds me of him.






technorati tags: , , ,


3 comments:

Diane J Standiford said...

My sympathy.

Anonymous said...

Hi Vicki:

The only way to alter the day in your memory is to alter your memory. Truly remember THE DAY he died and forget about the comments from others regarding the WACO incident. Put his death in context as to what was going on in YOUR life at the time.

My dad died during a horrendous event in the US, but I prefer to remember the personal things that were going on in my family life when he died. I guess it is kind of selfish, but after all, he was MY dad, not the US's dad!

My thoughts are with you right now as you remember his life and how he touched yours.

Vicki said...

Thank you, Diane.

Anne, My memories of my father are generally not associated with the Waco siege. It's just whenever I hear about the siege, I remember that comment and that he died. I prefer to think of him in different times when I thought of him as a hero.

I think you said it beautifully - "he was MY dad."