Saturday, August 25, 2007

Women's Equality Day

If liberty and equality, as is thought by some, are chiefly to be found in democracy, they will be best attained when all persons alike share in government to the utmost. Aristotle
The United States took a step toward equality on this day in 1920 by passing the 19th Amendment to the Constitution granting women the right to vote. I have written before about women's fight f
or equality, but I think it is important to remember milestones even if it means repeating myself.

Aristotle said it clearly (above), but here's a thought from someone who has consistently worked for equality.
Marlo Thomas with her equal
partner, husband Phil Donahue
One of the things about equality is not just that you be treated equally to a man, but that you treat yourself equally to the way you treat a man. Marlo Thomas
Commemorate Women's Equality Day by treating everyone, including yourself, equally.

Technorati technorati tags: , , , ,

2 comments:

Diana Kohne said...

Good point, treating yourself equally as well. I don't believe that part has taken hold.
I've got a comic about the 19th amendment.. I brought it to class for critique and the girls openly admitted that the words of the woman in my comic/portrait were true, that "I would gladly exchange my 19th Amendment right to get rid of my cellulite."
sad day.
Thank you for your comment on my art blog.

Vicki said...

Diana,
At the risk of sounding like my grandmother, they just don't understand. We (women) worked too hard just to lose it over cellulite. But then, when I look in the mirror I think . . . oh, that's another story.