Wednesday, November 22, 2006

How Can We Forget?

I was in the Lafayette High School schoolyard when I heard the news that President Kennedy had been shot. The school was stunned as was the entire country and indeed, much of the world. It was a memorable day.

My family spent Thanksgiving that year with my aunt's family, and those four days we were on the couch glued to the TV. It was a massive news event, and we saw the same stories and images and interviews over and over, presented by the three major networks (long before 24-hr cable news). It was the first time I watched news for such a long period.

Today, the Kennedy assassination is a regular news story, and just a history lesson to the kids and young adults. Now it is a news blurb. Then it was a shock to our system. How will we remember?

In September when Nellie Connally died, it was reported that the last survivor in the limousine died.
How can we forget?

technorati tags: , ,


No comments: