Thursday, November 20, 2008

Children Around the Globe

Today is Universal Children's Day.

In December 1954, when Dag Hamma
rskld was Secretary General, the United Nations passed a resolution that recommended all countries establish and observe a Universal Children's Day. This day promotes "worldwide fraternity and understanding between children."

Dag
Hammarsrskld was the first person I remember from the UN. I'm not sure what it was that attached me to him. Perhaps it was that he worked for peace at a time I was beginning to understand what that meant. Perhaps because he helped pilots who were captured in the Korean War, and my daddy was a pilot in the Korean War. Anyway, I remember when I was 12 his aircraft was lost and then found and a controversy followed. I was proud when he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.

Around the world, countries are observing this day to promote the welfare of children. Today is Universal Children's Day.


Technorati technorati tags: , , ,

No comments: