Sunday, March 02, 2008

Have a Healthy Month

March is National MS Education and Awareness Month. This is important to me because I have multiple sclerosis and it is surprising how few people are aware of MS. I think most people have heard of it, but a frequent question is "What is MS?"

Just like so many people, when I was diagnosed I did not know what to expect, how MS is treated, how it is cured, how many people have MS, how I "caught" it, or really very much at all. I recall having heard an advertising tag line "MS, the crippler of young adults." Well, that memory brought up more questions such as "Am I going to be in a wheelchair?"

Now that I had been made aware of MS, I obviously needed to be educated about it. I began to rely on the National MS Society (NMSS) and the Multiple Sclerosis FoundatioN (MSF) to guide my education. To answer some questions, here is a quick NMSS brochure.

March is a very health conscious month. Other conditions observed this month are:

1 comment:

Diane J Standiford said...

I wonder when MS Month started? Seems like first it was a day, then a week, now a month.