Sunday, March 12, 2006

Lunch with Mother



Last weekend I had lunch with my mother. It had been months since I had seen her before that.

My mother lives in an assisted living residence and no longer drives. I live in a nice house less than 300 miles away, but I also no longer drive. We talk by phone on a regular basis, but neither of us is a phone chatter preferring to listen. We needed to see each other.

My brother and his family live near her, so he and my sister-in-law planned to take her halfway to my house. My mother is older, but she can get in and out of the car and walk into a restaurant, but she is very slow. Garry lives near me – very near, as in the same house – so he planned to take me halfway to her. I am non-ambulatory and breakable, and pretty slow, too. With an abundance of patience, we were going to have a family luncheon.

After lunch, we visited my father’s grave. I haven’t been there since the funeral, but I was still walking then. This time I stayed in the car – getting in and out of the car seems to be my most breakable time, so I limit the number of my car transfers. We parked nearby and Garry took pictures for me. I wish the grass had been greener.

Then we went home. Not a very exciting day, but a very appreciated day. Thank you Steve and Bonnie. Thank you Garry.

No comments: